Translate

Fun Friday Snacks

Email me to sign up for a Fun Friday Snack date. The dates that do not have a student name are available. Please remember to send in enough snacks for 21 students.

January:
13~
20~ Gesler
27~ Ms. Finocchiaro
February:
3~ Komarea
10~ Noelani
17~ Sophia
24~ Noelani
March:
3~ Noah
10~ Leilani
16~ Ms.Finocchiaro :)
31~ Jaiden
April:
7~ Komarea
21~ Gabriel
May:
5~
12~
19~
26~
June:
2~ Ms. Finocchiaro

Saturday, October 1, 2016

Saxon Slideshow

Every four days Saxon has me assess the students on the letter we discussed the week prior, along with the skills that we practiced. These Oral Assessments are counted as part of your child's Language Arts grade.

The next Oral Assessment will be happening this week and it has the students finding a word I say from a group of three words, reading a word that has been coded and coding a word. I feel the students have really enjoyed coding the words with a breve... however I believe we are still having some trouble with finding and reading. So I made a slideshow for you to use to practice these skills with your child.

*If your child has trouble reading the words, help them segment or "chop" the word up. 
We do this by calling one of our arms a pretend cutting board and holding it horizontally in front of our chest and the other arm as a pretend knife and holding it vertically in front of the body. I ALWAYS say pretend! Then we make the chops for the sounds in the word. Ex. h-a-t. It would have three chops. After you segment the word, remind your child to blend the sounds together to figure out what the word is. *

After you view this slideshow, PLEASE leave me a comment letting me know what you and your child thought of it and if it helped them. :) Thanks so much!

3 comments:

  1. The method seems to be effective as I went over it with Noelani and she did not have any issues with the slideshow. When asked about the pretend knife and chopping boars she was excited to explain it to me :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Forgot to tell you I reviewed it with Gabriel. However, none of the "click the speaker"s worked. He still read the words, chopping them up based on sounds.

    ReplyDelete